Terrorist Incident After An Ariana Grande Concert
Written by ZenKC on May 23, 2017
At least 22 people have been killed and 59 wounded in what’s being described by British police as a terrorist incident after an Ariana Grande concert on Monday night at the Manchester Arena. The suicide attack is believed to have carried out by one man.
Police say they believe the attacker was carrying an improvised explosive device which he detonated causing this terrorist incident.
Prime Minister Theresa May said the incident was being treated as a terrorist attack. If confirmed, it would be the deadliest militant assault in Britain since four British Muslims killed 52 people in suicide bombings on London’s transport system in July 2005.
Police responded to reports of an explosion shortly after 10:33 pm (2133 GMT) at Manchester Arena, which has the capacity to hold 21,000 people, where the U.S. singer had been performing.
A witness who attended the concert said she felt a huge blast as she was leaving the arena, followed by screaming and a rush by thousands of people trying to escape the building.
A video posted on Twitter showed fans, many of them young, screaming and running from the venue. Dozens of parents frantically searched for their children, posting photos and pleading for information on social media.
Ariana Grande, 23, later said on Twitter: “broken. from the bottom of my heart, I am so so sorry. I don’t have words.” May, who faces an election in two-and-a-half weeks, said her thoughts were with the victims and their families. She and Jeremy Corbyn, the leader of the opposition Labour Party, agreed to suspend campaigning ahead of the June 8 election.